Friday 28 September 2012

Learning to Tat


On a recent trip to Venice, I desided to learn how to tat. I had never tried it before, but had bought all nessesary equipment. I just needed the right soroundings to get in the mood and be inspired.

As far as I have understood, there are two different ways to tat: either by a shuttle or a needle. I had bought equipment for both, but I chose to start with the shuttle. I think this decision was based on the fact that among the shuttles I had purchased, there were some beautiful wooden ones with my name engraved. And I really wanted to try them out.

I found a very nice introductory book on tatting, with a CD course included. The book was called "Learn to Tat" by Conny Ellison. It was a good introductory book, and it did not take me too long before I could tat most of the projects in the book. The pictures you see is the production I had during my four day stay in Venice. That is, tatting is fast both to do and to learn.
I had problems finding equipment for tatting in my local craft stores, so I went online and found several good stores.  I ended up buying several things from this store. I also have to talk about David Reed Smith, who makes such lovely wooden shuttles. They are somewhat more expensive than plastic ones, but infinitely more beautiful.

If you like to try, do not hesitate. It is a bit unusual in the beginning, but you will soon get the hang of it. It is also fun to be able to make your own tatted laces for bunad shirts and other projects.

2 comments:

  1. How pretty! My mother taught me to tat. I know the basics, but haven't done it recently. I have her shuttles and have them displayed in my curio with beautiful samples of her work. I am more into knit and crochet at the moment, but will surely get back to tatting someday. Your tatting is beautiful! Every once in awhile I find some beautiful vintage tatting shuttles in Etsy shops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Tat-land. Your tatting are very well done. I hope you enjoyed your first tatting experience and will continue to tat.

    ReplyDelete